18 Little-Known Woody Harrelson Facts
I’ve been a big fan of Woody Harrelson since he first made a name for himself on the hit sitcom Cheers. Since then, he’s become one of the world’s biggest and most successful actors, but whenever you see him during an interview, he just seems like your average nice guy. I recently watched Zombieland and was so into Woody’s performance that I thought I’d do some research to find some fun facts about him.
Here’s what I found.
1. He was born in Midland, Texas and has two brothers.
When they were quite young, however, they moved to their mother’s hometown of Lebanon, Ohio.
2. He spent his summers working at the local amusement park.
He did everything from running games to operating the rides.
3. He graduated from Hanover College with a degree in English and Theater.
4. His first film was alongside Goldie Hawn.
They starred together in 1986’s Wildcats.
5. He is an ethical vegan and raw foodist.
That means that he doesn’t eat meat, dairy, sugar or flour.
6. He never actually ate a Twinkie while filming Zombieland.
All those snacks were actually made with cornmeal. Another Zombieland fact: he was arrested for marijuana possession during filming.
7. He is multi-talented.
Not only does he act, but he’s directed and written his own plays.
What can’t he do?
8. His father was a convicted murderer.
In fact, Woody says he based his character in Natural Born Killers on his own dad!
9. He owns his own oxygen bar.
The bar is located in West Hollywood.
11. In 1991 he went to Kenya and lived on the outskirts of Nairobi for several weeks.
This was a way for him to get away from it all.
Sometimes we all need a break.
12. Over the course of his life, he claims to have had 17 different jobs.
Talk about paying your dues.
13. He’s the lead singer of a band.
In his spare time, Woody plays with the bands Manly Moondog and Three Kool Hats.
14. He is married and has three beautiful kids.
He and his wife Laura Louie are proud parents to Deni, Zoe, and Makani.
15. His breakout role came in 1985, joining the television sitcom Cheers.
He played bartender Woody Boyd, for which he earned five Emmy Award nominations.
16. Some notable film characters include:
Basketball hustler Billy Hoyle in White Men Can’t Jump, one-handed bowler Roy Munson in Kingpin, Haymitch Abernathy in The Hunger Games film series, serial killer Mickey Knox in Natural Born Killers, magazine publisher Larry Flynt in The People vs. Larry Flynt, and country singer Dusty in A Prairie Home Companion.
17. In 2014, he starred as Detective Martin Hart in the HBO crime drama True Detective with Matthew McConaughey.
It earned him and McConaughey nominations for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series.
18. On the November 12, 2009 episode of The Colbert Report, Harrelson was interviewed by Stephen Colbert, to promote his movie The Messenger.
In response to Colbert’s questioning of his support for the troops, Harrelson agreed to let Colbert shave his head on camera.